Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others
Date: 2008-06-24 15:27:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:52:22AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With lots of help from Greg Sabino Mullane, I've set up a git
>>> repository for the WITH RECURSIVE patches on
>>> <http://git.postgresql.org/>.
>>>
>>> What other patches would people like to try maintaining this way
>>> until commitfest?
>>>
>>> It looks like gitosis is a good way to grant write access to git
>>> repositories, but it's not yet packaged for FreeBSD. Any ideas
>>> about how to handle this?
>> As you were answered the last time you asked about it, people are
>> already working on this.
>
> Which people, and what are they doing? The silence here has been
> deafening.

Peter is in charge of the GIT repository, and I've offered to make the
changes once we've agreed exactly on what should be done.

>> Unfortunately, the requirements have also been raised a bit (such as
>> allowing a user to delegate access to another user)
>
> Who raised those requirements, and where did that discussion take
> place?

Peter did.

> I don't recall any decision to do any of this by star chamber
> and secret cabal, and frankly, moving the goalposts on this is a great
> way to have it never actually happen. Is that your intention?

Not mine :-) My suggestion is to fix what we have now, and then add more
stuff later.

>> which means it will take longer.
>>
>> Now, if you can give us a step-by-step on how to set it up, that
>> would certainly help ;-)
>
> Gitosis does not, as far as I can tell, have that delegation
> capability, but I've come up with a way to do this:
>
> 1. Use git-shell. Yes, this does involve creating one shell account
> for each project, but git-shell is, by design, very short on
> exploitable capability.
>
> 2. Make the .ssh directory a git repository.
>
> 3. Edit .ssh/authorized_keys and push via git.

I was looking into being able to do it using gitosis, with an interface
on top of it's existing GIT repository for being able to delegate this.
I think it can be done without modifying gitosis itself, by just writing
some simple frontend script on top of it. What do you think of this idea?

//Magnus