Re: [GENERAL] Fragments in tsearch2 headline

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: Pierre-Yves Strub <pierre(dot)yves(dot)strub(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Fragments in tsearch2 headline
Date: 2008-06-02 14:10:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> I have attached a new patch with respect to the current cvs head. This
> produces headline in a document for a given query. Basically it
> identifies fragments of text that contain the query and displays them.
New variant is much better, but...

> HeadlineParsedText contains an array of actual words but not
> information about the norms. We need an indexed position vector for each
> norm so that we can quickly evaluate a number of possible fragments.
> Something that tsvector provides.

Why do you need to store norms? The single purpose of norms is identifying words
from query - but it's already done by hlfinditem. It sets
HeadlineWordEntry->item to corresponding QueryOperand in tsquery.
Look, headline function is rather expensive and your patch adds a lot of extra
work - at least in memory usage. And if user calls with NumFragments=0 the that
work is unneeded.

> This approach does not change any other interface and fits nicely with
> the overall framework.
Yeah, it's a really big step forward. Thank you. You are very close to
committing except: Did you find a hlCover() function which produce a cover from
original HeadlineParsedText representation? Is any reason to do not use it?

> The norms are converted into tsvector and a number of covers are
> generated. The best covers are then chosen to be in the headline. The
> covers are separated using a hardcoded coversep. Let me know if you want
> to expose this as an option.

> Covers that overlap with already chosen covers are excluded.
>
> Some options like ShortWord and MinWords are not taken care of right
> now. MaxWords are used as maxcoversize. Let me know if you would like to
> see other options for fragment generation as well.
ShortWord, MinWords and MaxWords should store their meaning, but for each
fragment, not for the whole headline.

> Let me know any more changes you would like to see.

if (num_fragments == 0)
/* call the default headline generator */
mark_hl_words(prs, query, highlight, shortword, min_words, max_words);
else
mark_hl_fragments(prs, query, highlight, num_fragments, max_words);

Suppose, num_fragments < 2?

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/