Re: 404s

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 404s
Date: 2008-05-28 16:42:03
Lists: pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 18:23 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>
>>> Probably because noone checked the log recently (we know if errors
>>> occur through other channels, but not 404 warnings).
>> well the logs still have a fair number of false positives.
>> This partly due to the mirror script being a bit careless at times in
>> what it should consider a valid url and the other part is url's that we
>> once had and referenced in say a press release that are no longer valid
>> (be it website reorg or a decision to rename directories on the ftp site).
>> otoh it seems that we have at least one really broken URL in the press
>> FAQ page - will see if we can fix that ...
>>

> What if we used a rewrite rule on 404 to actually bring up a single
> entry form that said, "Report broken page: <email> <submit>".

I think it would be more reasonable to look into what it would take to
remove the (obvious) false positives and have the mirror script report
new ones automatically during site build.
Though I think what simon was actually refering to are urls pointing to
external sites which we could maybe check on events/training whatever
submission and refuse to accept them.
The mirroring does not really care for external sites so we would only
be able to spot mistakes that lead to urls that end up on wwwmaster
(like it being interpreted as a relative link or such) not ones that are
broken otherwise (domain misspelled, simply wrong,...).

Stefan