Re: Optimzing Postgresql

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimzing Postgresql
Date: 2008-05-25 20:01:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Steve Atkins wrote:

> Hang out on the pgsql-performance mailing list and see what other people
> do - "How do I tune a database for X" comes up pretty regularly, and
> gets good answers, so trolling through the mailing list archive can give
> some very good advice.

Aside from the hardware and server options that can be adjusted - the
sql you use can make a big difference to performance as well.

That goes from good table design and index usage through to select
statement structure as well.

The mailing lists are often a good place to get help with selects that
perform slowly.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz