Re: BLOB is read into memory instead of streaming (bug?)

From: Kris Jurka <jurka(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: robert engels <rengels(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BLOB is read into memory instead of streaming (bug?)
Date: 2008-05-01 23:44:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

robert engels wrote:
> This seems like a very bad impl - at least for JDBC.
>
> Why are the details of this access not hidden in the JDBC driver? The
> column type is the only thing that a user should be concerned with.
>
> Why would someone want to code proprietary Postgres code just to access
> BLOBs?
>
> The JDBC blob API is very good. Using either the BLOB/locator interface
> or the getInputStream();

I think you've misunderstood me. The documentation shows using a
proprietary API, but get/setBlob works just fine. I pointed to the
documentation because it explains some of the differences between the
bytea and large object datatypes. It's really that the documentation
needs an additional example for the standard blob usage.

Kris Jurka