New problem with the latest Kubuntu

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New problem with the latest Kubuntu
Date: 2008-05-01 13:10:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Subject is not really true :) With the latest Kubuntu, I got the latest
gcc release. Now, when I compile pgAdmin3 from sources, I get a whole
bunch of warning messages:

../pgadmin/include/images/splash.xpm:603: warning : deprecated
conversion from string constant to "char*"

It seems the new (4.2.3) gcc/g++ release throws this kind of warning
messages. In fact, a lot of them. Something between 24,000 and 25,000
warnings for pgAdmin3 trunk sources. Compile is finally successful, but
I would prefer to be able to get these warnings out.

So, I tried to get a look at it. Using "const char*" instead of "char*"
seems to fix the issue, but this is getting bigger and bigger. All "char
*" variables should be replaced, but also every functions/methods
declarations using char* should be replaced with "const char*". And I
think wxChar* will also need some tweaking.

My C/C++ knowledge is not really helpful here and I will need advice
from my fellow hackers :) Is this the right move ? or am I completely
wrong ? If I came up with such a big patch, will it be reviewed for
inclusion ?

Thanks for any tips/comments.

Regards.

--