Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server
Date: 2011-10-29 21:42:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I have not looked at the code, but ISTM the way that this has to work is
>> that you set up a portal for each active scan. Then you can fetch a few
>> rows at a time from any one of them.

> Hmm, true. Looking back at the original proposal (neither did I look
> at the code,) there seems to be a cursor mode. ISTM it is hard for fdw
> to know how the whole plan tree looks, so consequently do we always
> cursor regardless of estimated row numbers?

I think we have to. Even if we estimate that a given scan will return
only a few rows, what happens if we're wrong? We don't want to blow out
memory on the local server by retrieving gigabytes in one go.

> I haven't had much experiences around cursor myself, but is it as
> efficient as non-cursor?

No, but if you need max efficiency you shouldn't be using foreign tables
in the first place; they're always going to be expensive to access.

It's likely that making use of native protocol portals (instead of
executing a lot of FETCH commands) would help. But I think we'd be well
advised to do the first pass with just the existing libpq facilities,
and then measure to see where to improve performance.