Re: Tech details - psql wraps at window width

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tech details - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-26 07:08:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Hey, I can work with this idea. First, there really is no 'off' mode
> for wrapped because that is aligned...
Well, come to think of it, "wrapped" is not really a new output format
in the sense of "html" or "latex". It could build on aligned:

\pset format aligned [autowrap|nowrap|nnn]

But there's still the issue of wanting separate defaults for tty and
stream outputs. The last thing you want is an admin deciding on
wrapping, and then subtly breaking scripts. My personal desired
defaults are:

* Terminals autowrap.
* Streams don't wrap, except in the rare case when I want to force a
specific width (e.g. 79 for a newsgroup posting).

-Bryce