Re: query performance

From: Brian Cox <brian(dot)cox(at)ca(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query performance
Date: 2008-04-24 23:59:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane [tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us] wrote:
> I suspect that your FSM settings are too low, causing free space found
> by VACUUM to be forgotten about.

I read in another thread that vacuum verbose would tell me how much FSM
is needed, but I ran it and didn't see any output about this. What is
the way to determine how much FSM is needed (other than wait for hints
in the log).

You might also need to consider
> vacuuming more than once a day (there's a tradeoff between how often
> you vacuum and how much FSM space you need).

What is the trade-off? Anyway to predict how much more (presumably) FSM
is needed if you vacuum more often?

Thanks,
Brian