Expressiveness of SQLException

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Expressiveness of SQLException
Date: 2008-04-24 07:21:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello dear developers,

I wrote a function for the server, that rises this error when called
(called and displayed in PGAdmin III):

ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)
SQL Status:22001
Kontext:PL/pgSQL function "fkt_calculateshoppinglistitems" line 26
at assignment
PL/pgSQL function "fkt_calculateallshoppinglistitems" line 16 at FOR
over SELECT rows

When this function is called by JDBC, the only information stored in the
exception is:

ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)

Which makes debugging from server logfiles much harder. I expected to
have some more exceptions encapsulated (retrievable with
getNextException on PSQLException), but found nothing.

Where do I have to look for the missing information?

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski