How to modify ENUM datatypes?

From: "D(dot) Dante Lorenso" <dante(at)lorenso(dot)com>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to modify ENUM datatypes?
Date: 2008-04-22 10:01:41
Lists: pgsql-general

All,

In the past I have used foreign keys to lookup tables for small lists of
values that I now think ENUM could do the job of. I was hoping that by
using ENUM, I would avoid having to do joins in my queries, and that I'd
be making the data more robust and faster.

I used to have a table for account_status:

A | Active
B | Billing Failed
C | Closed
D | Deactivated

account.acct_type CHAR references account_type.acct_type CHAR

But, now I've converted that to an ENUM:

ACTIVE
BILLING_FAILED
CLOSED
DEACTIVATED

account.acct_type ENUM account_type

The problem is that once I create a column in my account table that uses
this 'account_type' datatype, I can't seem to change or add to it any
more. I want to add a new value or edit/delete an existing one.

How do you make changes to an ENUM datatype that is already in use?

-- Dante