Re: invalid message format and I/O error while comunicating with backend

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Sergi Vera <svera(at)emovilia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid message format and I/O error while comunicating with backend
Date: 2008-04-15 16:58:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Sergi Vera wrote:
> Thanks Kris for the help
>
> Adding loglevel=2 dind't add any more info on logs, and it will be not
> easy to make a self contained program, but I have attached the result of

The loglevel=2 logging will go to the driver's System.out not into the
server error log.

> tcpdump -vvv -i lo -w pgsqlerror2.dat

This only captures the start of each packet so it doesn't have the whole
thing. Could you recapture with:

tcpdump -n -w pgsqlerror3.dat -s 1514 -i any tcp port 5432

This ups the capture size (-s 1514) and also filters out the unrelated
UDP traffic you've got going on.

> Browsing through the first failing pgsql data chunk, one can see that:
>
> http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pantallazolm8.png
>
> The last data has column lenght -1 which seems strange even if I don'k
> know anything of this particular protocol

-1 length indicates a NULL value, so that's expected.