Re: BUG #4073: ERROR: invalid input syntax for type timestamp: "Sat Mar 29 04:47:06 WEST 2008"

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pedro Alves <pedro(at)neraka(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4073: ERROR: invalid input syntax for type timestamp: "Sat Mar 29 04:47:06 WEST 2008"
Date: 2008-03-31 21:06:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Pedro Alves wrote:
> Since saturday Portugal is in WEST timezone. Some of my programs stopped
> working. Those programs use the output of java.util.Date, and come out as
> "Sat Mar 29 04:47:06 WEST 2008".
>
> Though not everyone uses that kind of output in timezones, everyone that
> uses a recent jvm and are in portugal, faroe island or canary island will
> have issues with this. Ref:
> http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/west.html

We don't include all timezone abbreviations, because they're generally
not well-defined. Not sure if that's the case with WEST, but it seems
quite likely. We do have the abbreviation WETDST for that, though.

> I found a way to *hack* the solution by copying the file Portugal to WEST in
> share/timezones

No need for such hacks, see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datetime-config-files.html

--