Re: lc_time and localized dates

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: 'PostgreSQL-patches' <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lc_time and localized dates
Date: 2008-02-26 16:22:48
Lists: pgsql-patches

Gevik Babakhani wrote:

> Have you tested this patch on MSVC and MinGW (Windows) builds?
> changing LC_MESSAGES/LC_TIME will most probably break the Windows behavior.

No. [Looking at the code...] I think it only affects the LC_MESSAGES
'cause setlocale(LC_MESSAGES) don't work on Windows.

> AFAIK, some locales like the Dutch doesn't have capitalized first letters
> for month/day.
> Making the first letter capitalized for all values would be incorrect.

Even if we have just the month word? Don't consider a sentence in this
case. We're talking about a formatting function so you can choose if you
want it capitalized or not. Is it ok to output TMDay as 'Dinsdag' ?

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/