Re: Stable Release?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Gergely CZUCZY <phoemix(at)harmless(dot)hu>
Cc: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stable Release?
Date: 2008-02-21 17:21:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:53:35AM -0500, Carol Walter wrote:
>> A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL is 8.1.x. I thought it was 8.2.4. What is the latest stable release?
>> I thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier releases. Can anyone comment?
> Have you tried to check out the website of the project?
> Let me help you, it's http://www.postgresql.org/
> I'm sure you've read it, while you was looking for this list...

I'm guessing Carol did see it but still has confusion over
whether a "major" or "latest" release is considered "stable".

I see the web site mention that 8.3's the "latest" release;
and on other pages it says 8.2.3 is the latest release[1], and
sometimes other versions[2].

With all the bizarre numbering schemes software[3] uses,
where sometimes 2.0.0 means "unstable"; perhaps it'd be
nice if our versioning page[4] explicitly said "Our major
releases are stable releases that we consider suitable for
production".

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese_trad.html
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_czech.html#item1.6
[3] http://www.linux.com/feature/45507