Re: Benchmark Data requested

From: "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Benchmark Data requested
Date: 2008-02-05 20:50:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Heikki,

Is there a way such an operation can be spawned as a worker process?
Generally during such loading - which most people will do during
"offpeak" hours I expect additional CPU resources available. By
delegating such additional work to worker processes, we should be able
to capitalize on additional cores in the system.

Even if it is a single core, the mere fact that the loading process will
eventually wait for a read from the input file which cannot be
non-blocking, the OS can timeslice it well for the second process to use
those wait times for the index population work.

What do you think?

Regards,
Jignesh