Re: 8.3 Logging Question

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.3 Logging Question
Date: 2008-01-24 19:56:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Chris Hoover wrote:
> I'm running PG 8.3rc2 to start testing it out, and really like how it is
> preforming for me so far. However, I have one question on the logging.
> I am trying to use syslog and csvlog to log all sql. This seems to work
> great except that for every log rotation postgres does, I get a .csv log
> file that grows and a 0 byte .log file. Since I'm not logging to
> stderr, why is the .log file being created, and how do I turn that off?

Yes, I have the same issue. I don't think you can do something to stop
this behaviour. postmaster process creates the directory if not present,
then tries to create a file in it, and finally launches the syslogger
subprocess. The file it creates is your .log file. I'm not sure why it
creates a .log file. Perhaps the postmaster process has no idea at this
time that the DBA wants csvlog files.

Anyways, you'll only have one .log file because rotation function takes
care of the log_destination.

> [...]
> log_destination = 'syslog,csvlog' # Valid values are
> combinations of

This is kind of strange. It should be syslog or csvlog. It shouldn't be
both of them. Or am I wrong ?

Regards.

--
Guillaume.