Re: SSL over Unix-domain sockets

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSL over Unix-domain sockets
Date: 2008-01-05 19:14:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Here is a patch that implements "localssl" as well. It is quite simple.
>>
> The other area that would need some thought before we could consider
> this "done" is the behavior of libpq's sslmode parameter. With the
> patch as given, an SSL-capable libpq will *default* to using SSL over
> sockets, which might be thought overkill; it is almost certainly
> going to result in a performance penalty. Is this a reasonable default
> behavior? Should sslmode be extended to allow specification of
> different behaviors for sockets vs. TCP
Does the patch handle patched clients connecting to unpatched servers
and vice versa?

I am undecided whether I will use this proposed functionality or not. I
would like to tighten up security (only a few people have access to the
machine, but even a few may be a few too many?). Cryptographic
authentication and encrypted data stream cost is high compared to no
cryptographic authentication or encrypted data streams. I don't know if
it would impact me or not. Peter: Have you tried running a benchmark of
localssl vs localnossl?

Cheers,
mark

--