Re: Submitting cursored query support, docs, etc

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Kalle Hallivuori <kato(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Submitting cursored query support, docs, etc
Date: 2007-12-10 13:56:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Kalle Hallivuori wrote:
> Hi again Dave and others,
>
> 2007/11/29, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>:
>> I'd be very happy to look at your code. Obviously I cannot guarantee
>> that it would all be incorporated into the base product, but certainly
>> all of the items above sound very interesting (I've personally wanted to
>> add a cursor mode to the query tool for some time).
>
> I'm trying to figure out where to add this. Insights are welcome.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand - if you're talking about the patch,
please just mail it to the list.

>> We are keen to support major PostgreSQL derivatives whereever we can,
>> provided the changes are not too invasive, and I'd certainly be
>> interested to include Truviso in our list of supported servers if we can.
>
> We need to refactor dlgColumn to support Columns of other objects than
> tables. I wonder whether it'd be acceptable for pgAdmin to have
> separate abstract dlgColumn class and a derived dlgTableColumn class?

I don't see why not in principle. Obviously we'd need to be happy with
the actual code, but I have no problem with the architectural change.

> I should be able to commit some code for review this week (mainly
> trivial changes to column handling). Work on developer documentation
> will probably produce some results next week or so.

OK, cool.

> A whole lot of
> timing depends on when my second child is going to get born though;
> anything may get delayed to latter half of January, unless someone
> else publishes our results while I'm on parental leave.

Congratulations :-). I'm sure we can wait if necessary!!

> Cheers and thanks for all your code,

You're welcome - thanks for sharing your work with us.

Regards, Dave.