Re: Problems with PostGreSQL and Windows 2003

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: claudia(dot)amorim(at)pcinformatica(dot)com(dot)br
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, claudiacomput(at)hotmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Problems with PostGreSQL and Windows 2003
Date: 2007-11-24 08:53:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

claudia(dot)amorim(at)pcinformatica(dot)com(dot)br wrote:
> I'm having serious peformance problems with PostGreSQL and Windows Server 2003
> Enterprise Edition. The PostgreSQL Server don't starts if I set the shared
> buffers high than
> 1GB. All my programs can use only 3 GB of RAM and I have 8GB of RAM.
> When I try to execute a query in a table about 4 milion registers, my
> application crashes with an error memory message.

What error message do you get if setting shared_buffers higher than 1GB?
Exactly what error message do you get when the application crashes?

> work_mem =512MB # min 64kB

That's way too high for most applications. In a complex query, each sort
or hash node can will use up work_mem amount of memory. That means that
if you have a very complex query with several such nodes, it will run
out of memory. Try something like 16MB.

--
Heikki Linnakangas