Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL

From: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)reynolds(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-11-22 03:34:01
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Finn Lassen wrote:
> I am very new to ADODB, ODBC and SQL databases.
>
> When I run the following which I wrote to populate tables (with data
> from a Borland V database) , the Visual Basic Developer Interface
> crashes with the following error signature (Windows XP):
> AppName: vb6.exe AppVer: 6.0.97.82 ModName: psqlodbc30a.dll
> ModVer: 8.2.4.0 Offset: 00016edc

I had perhaps a similar issue with VB6 earlir this year - program
crashing on doing a .Update, though mine was an access violation.

Refer to the thread here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2007-03/msg00045.php

My solution in the end was to drop using recordsets and the
addNew/Update methods to constructing an SQL INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE
statement of my own and running that through .Execute on the database
object instead.

I'd suggest turning on logging on the ODBC driver, running your program
until it crashes and then checking the contents of the mylog and
psqlodbc log in your root c directory. They might give a hint as to what
the problem is - perhaps some funny data being sent through.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator