Re: Fix pg_dump dependency on postgres.h

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix pg_dump dependency on postgres.h
Date: 2007-11-14 15:13:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> I found two problems there. One is that I forgot postgres.h include in
>>> common.c. it is easy to fix. However second problem is more complicated.
>>> dumputils.c calls ScandKeywordLookup function which is defined in
>>> keyword.c. :(
>> <snip>
>>
>>> 3) Put following fake into keyword.c before include "parse.h" line. It is
>>> easiest way.
>>> #define TYPE_IS_DECLARED 1
>>> #define YYLTYPE_IS_DECLARED 1
>>> #define YYLTYPE void*
>>> #define YYSTYPE void*
>> New version of patch is attached. I selected variant 3 as a best solution.
>> Patch also fix some other postgres.h dependencyin another tools such as
>> pg_controldata, pg_config. The last unfixed tool is pg_resetxlog which
>> deserves own patch.
>
> Humm, but YYLTYPE is defined in gramparse.h (and as a different type)
> ... Also, I see that if you define YYLTYPE then you don't need
> YYLTYPE_IS_DECLARED as well. Also I don't see any TYPE_IS_DECLARED
> here. What I'm thinking is that this patch is not very portable :-(

Thanks you for your comments.

You are right, define YYLTYPE and YYSTYPE is enough to skip
union/structure definition. I think, data type is not important for
this purpose, but use int instead of void* seem good idea. It will be
synchronized with gramparse.h.

What do you mean "not very portable"? What could be problem there?

Zdenek