Re: pgAdmin licence

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin licence
Date: 2007-10-12 08:33:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> No. You removed VC6 support, which was absolutely vital for me, without
> ever asking whether that was viable. Since my development was tightly
> integrated, I wasn't able to switch one of projects separately (at least
> in the timeframe available).

Oh, I'm sorry - I thought it was the wxGrid thing you objected to.

WRT to moving to VC++ 2005, I *did* ask your opinion (and even stated
'and drop VC++6 support'), and the only objection you raised was that
you thought we'd have to link with the .NET runtimes which I
investigated and found was not the case.

The thread is here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-hackers/2006-04/msg00054.php

Regardless, if you needed to retain VC++ 6.0 support for compatibility
with your private work, surely it would have been infinitely easier to
just maintain your own project file, rather than forking and having to
duplicate all the effort to keep up to date with new PostgreSQL releases?

> Yes, but not the query tool nor any of its helper classes. The base
> classes however are reused by several other projects, including pgImport.

As far as I can see, that puts you in breach of our licence as the
distribution you posted a link to on your PSE Consulting website
(www.pse-consulting.de/pg/pgImport.zip) includes *only* a zipped
executable and no sign of any of the requirements of the pgAdmin
licence. Much of the base class code in pgAdmin was written or modified
by me (particularly the connection and recordset classes) and therefore
cannot be claimed as your own original work.

Please rectify this oversight immediately.

Regards, Dave