Re: Upgraded from 7.4 to 8.1.4 QUERIES NOW SLOW!!!

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: smiley2211 <smiley2211(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgraded from 7.4 to 8.1.4 QUERIES NOW SLOW!!!
Date: 2007-09-20 19:34:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

smiley2211 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Old servers that housed 7.4 performed better than 8.1.4 version...are there
> any MAJOR performance hits with this version???

Are you using the default UNICODE encoding for your databases??
This could potentially translate into a performance hit (considerable?
Maybe, depending on what your applications do)

A related question: why not update to the latest, 8.2.x ??

> I set the postgresql.conf setting to equal that of 7.4 and queries still run
> SLOW on 8.1.4...

Hmmm, I don't think the settings should be the same --- search the
archives for discussions on performance tuning and an informal
documentation of the postgresql.conf file.

> 3) vacuum analyze

Am I understanding correctly that you did this?? Just to double check,
yes, it is *very* important that you analyze the database *after loading
it*.

You could probably check the postgres log file to see if there are any
obvious red flags in there.

HTH,

Carlos