Re: Should PostgreSQL Europe organisation settle down in France ?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should PostgreSQL Europe organisation settle down in France ?
Date: 2007-09-15 09:09:02
Lists: pgeu-general

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm for upgrading PostgreSQL-FR to PostgreSQL-EU, since this is
> a real european organization. I know Jean-Paul well and trust him.

Well that's what Damien just said the rest of PostgreSQLFR don't want to
do because of all the work they've put in making it French-specific.
It's a shame because it will mean more work, but I can understand their
reasons.

> The real goal of PostgreSQL-EU is a common PostgreSQL certification
> program, not a donation, t-shirts and other bla-bla-thingies.

Err, no - I think it was only you that thought we should be doing that.
Every one I spoke to thought it would be a heck of a lot of ongoing work
for very little gain to the community, except those make a business of
training of course.

> Italian guys were very well doing PgDay-2007 in Prato and I'm also
> vote to continue PgDay in the same place. It's not expensive and
> friendly place.

I'd be very happy to visit Prato again - you're correct, it was very
well organised and a very nice place. There are also lots of other nice
places in Europe though - we should try others if there are people
willing to do the ground work locally.

/D