Re: Double feature error messages

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Double feature error messages
Date: 2007-09-11 09:49:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi developers!
>
> Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0 Beta 5 (Sep 10 2007, rev: 6631). Client
> Win XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4 and Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8
>

> Error messages are displayed twice. Just try any faulty statement to see.
> One line seems redundant?

That behavious makes more sense when you understand why it does it that
way. Whilst the queries are running, messages from the backend are
periodically collected and displayed by the query thread. This is the
first error you see:

ERROR: column "gerp" does not exist
LINE 1: select gerp
^

When the query completes the final status is displayed with the *****
Error ***** title:

********** Error **********

ERROR: column "gerp" does not exist
SQL state: 42703
Character: 13

This largely comes about from some refactoring of the query tool when we
discovered that you couldn't run more than 2 queries concurrently. I've
yet to figure out a better way of handling this.

BTW; I've committed a change to use the SQL Font (normally fixed width)
for the messages and history panes - makes the carat error markers work
more meaningfully!!

Thanks, Dave