Re: PGDay 2008

From: Chris Mair <chris(at)1006(dot)org>
To: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGDay 2008
Date: 2007-09-06 11:38:21
Lists: pgeu-general

> i like this discussion and i'm open for this idea(s).
>
> But you should consider: how many local PG groups in Europe have the
> ressources for such a (local) event in addition to one big european
> event? We in Germany definitely not. Italy? Yes, they already proofed
> it ;-) France maybe? Uk?
> Imho thats a very short list for local events.
>
> And you should also consider there are other events like FOSDEM,
> Linuxday, LWE, ... which we plan to attend. We don't have enough people
> around to manage all this events.
>
> Maybe we should first start with one european PostgreSQL event p.a.
> and if the community (not only the visitor number) grows, we can start
> thinking again about more local events.

I think the national events should be left up to the national groups.

I guess Federico thinks about what is called "linuxday" in Italy, where all
the local LUGs do regional events on the same day. I don't think, however, this
makes a lot of sense for PG at a european level.

So my vote goes to leaving this to the discretion of each national
(or regional!) group. So the Prato people can do something original every
year, the germans maybe can piggyback LinuxTag (or whatever).

> By the way: we don't even have achived all topics from PGDay 2007 in
> Prato, especially we still don't have a legal organization for EU.

Yeah, that's a another puzzle to solve...

Bye,
Chris.