Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007)

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007)
Date: 2007-08-31 07:53:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I don't think we need to get all
> PostgreSQL-certified on people.

So you'd be happy for *anyone* to organise an event and advertise it as
an official PGDG event? We already know there are unscrupulous training
companies out there that are happy to use extremely questionable methods
to make a few quid. It's no real stretch for them or other companies to
put on a conference (or claim to).

> Who would do the certification?

I'm not suggesting 'certification'. Just that -advocacy is happy to give
any given event an OK to bill themselves as an official conference. It's
a transparent forum, and includes a bunch of people who would know
immediately that there's not going to be any reason to object in most
cases because it's someone we know pitching the event.

Regards, Dave