Re: Etc/% timezones

From: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Etc/% timezones
Date: 2007-08-29 13:46:30
Lists: pgsql-general

>> I'm pretty certain that this is a bug. Can anyone confirm?
>>

> It is a bug -- in the SQL standard definition. The meaning of the sign
> is inverted w.r.t. the relevant POSIX (?) standard, AFAIU.
> Unsurprisingly, we're following the SQL standard here.

Wow. Seriously, wow.
Good thing I'm filtering them out then, else confusion would ensue. Has
anyone brought the stupidity of this to the attention of the SQL team? Is
there any rationale behind this? I've been working with timezone stuff for
the last few weeks and I'm really getting into it, so I'm just interested
to know how it was concluded that this is a good idea.