pg_dump/pg_dumpall

From: "Andrew C(dot) Uselton" <acuselton(at)lbl(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump/pg_dumpall
Date: 2007-08-10 18:49:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Greetings,
I was just trying to get a live backup of my database and had the following error:

uselton]# pg_dumpall > /tmp/osp5_pgsql.dump
Password:
pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": FATAL: Password authentication failed for user "root"

If it really is asking for the 'root' password I am certainly giving it correctly. I am root as I issue the command as well. I've tried a few other guesses at what it might _really_ be wanting (including using an explicit '-h host -p port'), but with no better luck. Any hints would be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrew