Re: Change for connection name

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kevin Macdonald <kevin(dot)macdonald(at)pentura(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Change for connection name
Date: 2007-08-04 18:27:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> I received an interesting request from Kevin Macdonald a few, hum,
>>> months ago. Yes, I'm not really that quick :) But I didn't forget.
>>>
>>> He wished to have the username on the query's window title. This is
>>> interesting when you use multiple accounts. Currently, we have :
>>> Query - " + database_name + " on " + host + ":" + port
>>>
>>> We wish to have instead :
>>> Query - " + database_name + " on " + user + "@" + host + ":" + port
>>>
>>> The patch attached does exactly this. Comments ?
>> Could use full URL style syntax perhaps (not sure if it looks too techy
>> though), eg:
>>
>> dpage(at)svr(dot)postgresql(dot)org:5432/mydb
>>

> Currently, it is
> mydb on svr.postgresql.org:5432
>
> My patch changes this to
> mydb on dpage(at)svr(dot)postgresql(dot)org:5432
>
> So dpage(at)svr(dot)postgresql(dot)org:5432/mydb does not seem too techy for me.

Not that it really matters - but I think "db on user(at)host:5432" is half-way
between the full url form, and something more sentence-like, e.g.
"db on host:5432 as user". To me "db on user(at)user:port" opens the question
"why seperate out the db, and stuff the rest into a string".

Having said that, I'll go, shut up, and do real work again :-)

greetings, Florian Pflug