Re: wxWidgets alert at start

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jyrki Wahlstedt <jyrki(dot)wahlstedt(at)hut(dot)fi>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wxWidgets alert at start
Date: 2007-08-02 09:21:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
>> It's dying when it checks for the PostgreSQL utilities (isPgApp() runs a
>> utility with the --version option to check that it's a PostgreSQL util,
>> and not an EDB version).

I've committed a fix to SVN trunk that should give an error and continue
gracefully if the version check cannot be completed. In your case, I
would expect this to now just throw an error at startup, then continue
as normal. Please test.

>> If so, is there a pg_dump executable in either location? What does it
>> return if you run it with the --version option?
> jwa(at)messiaen:MacOS> cd ../SharedSupport/helper/
> jwa(at)messiaen:helper> ll
> total 728
> -rwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 215632 1 Elo 12:11 pg_dump*
> -rwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 54892 1 Elo 12:11 pg_dumpall*
> -rwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 96532 1 Elo 12:11 pg_restore*
> jwa(at)messiaen:helper> ./pg_dump --version
> dyld: Library not loaded:
> @executable_path/../../Contents/Frameworks/libssl.0.9.8.dylib
> Referenced from:
> /Applications/MacPorts/pgAdmin3.app/Contents/SharedSupport/helper/./../../../Contents/Frameworks/libpq.5.dylib
>
> Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> So, pg_dump exists, but doesnt return anything that makes sense (and it
> is not found anywhere else

OK, thats wierd. Can you dig around in the pg_dump executable and the
libraries it references within the bundle to try to track down if the
path munging that happens during bundle creation has gone wrong please?
Use 'otool -L <exe or lib>' to get a list of libraries and the paths
that they each think they're using.

> Ok, I dug around a bit, and it seems that the use of pg_config is not
> totally proper in the configuration phase (I must admit that MacPorts
> PostgreSQL directory structure is not too simple either, but pg_config
> should be able to take care of that). Because of this I have made
> symbolic links in the build structure, but that shouldn't be needed, as
> pg_config should tell all necessary information. I tried to use purely
> pg_config, but could not configure, because no valid PostgreSQL
> installation was found.

I've committed a fix to acinclude.m4 that removes two places where we
assume $PGLIB == $PGHOME/lib (we get the value from pg_config now, as we
should. Can you test it please? You'll need to re-run the bootstrap
script after you svn update.

Thansk, Dave.