Re: Performance issue with 8.2.3 - "C" application

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance issue with 8.2.3 - "C" application
Date: 2007-07-25 02:55:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Yeah, the problem doesn't appear to be there. As I said, if I look at
the PS of the system when its bogging, there aren't a whole bunch of
processes stuck doing these, so while this does take a second or two to
come back, that's not that bad.

Its GENERAL performance that just bites - the system is obviously out of
CPU, but what I can't get a handle on is WHY. It does not appear to be
accumulating large amounts of runtime in processes I can catch, but the
load average is quite high.

This is why I'm wondering if what I'm taking here is a hit on the
fork/exec inside the portmaster, in the setup internally in there, in
the IPC between my process via libPQ, etc - and how I can profile what's
going on.

Karl Denninger (karl(at)denninger(dot)net)
http://www.denninger.net