Re: Can we change the website for OSCON + PDXPGDAY?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can we change the website for OSCON + PDXPGDAY?
Date: 2007-07-21 10:03:02
Lists: pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I think the subject says it all.
>>
>> I assume you mean more than just a listing under events?
>>
>> We don't normally do that for "generic conferences with pg tracks" -
>> we've only done it for the PostgreSQL dedicated ones so far (2xcanada +
>> 1xitaly), unless I'm mistaken. I'm not sure we want to go there - there
>> are lots of such conferences, and that's really what the events listing
>> is for. Conferences held by pg people and dedicated to pg is a different
>> thing, imo.
>
> Well we have a dedicated PGDay which is why I asked. It is Sunday and it
> is *only* Pg.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Having a writeup on that part I'm certainly
not against, but the point below still holds.

>> Having said that, I'm definitely not against having the website
>> frontpage change more often, as it makes the site seem more alive :-)
>>
>> But to sum things up, nothing is likely to happen unless someone makes a
>> more complete proposal for what :P It'll be a lot easier to convince
>> people then...

Then in your other mail,

> I would also note that this is not a "generic conference" it is pretty
> much one of the two biggest conferences in the US for PostgreSQL.

So, maybe I used the wrong word - I'll blame it on English not being my
native language :-) It's a "generic conference" from the perspective
that it's not a dedicated PostgreSQL event (like pgcon or pgday). I'm
unsure exactly how much of oscon is actually about PostgreSQL, but I'd
be greatly surprised (in a positive way!) if it was more than say 10% or
so. Actually, I'd be *very* happy if it was as much as 10%, which is
very far from dedicated. But the fact remains that the top name of their
speaker list is the CEO of mysql :-P

So, that's what I meant with generic. There may be a better word for it...

But again, I'm absolutely not against someone writing something up about
the dedicated PostgreSQL day.

//Magnus