Problem getting sequences under 8.02.03.00 driver

From: Eric E <whalesuit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem getting sequences under 8.02.03.00 driver
Date: 2007-07-09 23:30:29
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi all,
I installed the 8.02.03.00 driver during my installation of Postgres
8.2 onto my machine. After installation of that driver, the following
code related to sequences would not work:

Dim cnGetAutoGenID As ADODB.Connection

' Get a local handle to the single ADO connection
Set cnGetAutoGenID = GetPgADOConnection
Dim sSequenceName As String, sGetIDSQL As String

sGetIDSQL = "SELECT nextval('""" & sSequenceName & """'::text) as
seqval;"

Dim rsSeqVal As New ADODB.Recordset

Set rsSeqVal = cnGetAutoGenID.Execute(sGetIDSQL) ' Execute the SQL
With rsSeqVal
' If there are now rows in this recordset, then there was an
' error getting the sequence value
If .BOF Then
GoTo Err_GetAutogenID
Else
GetAutogenID = .Fields("seqval")
End If
End With

Where sSequenceName is holding the name of a sequence in the search_path
visible to the connection. The problem is that the value returned from
the ADODB Recordset is always 0. I can get a sequence perfectly well
using pgAdmin, and logs of statements showed that the driver was in fact
executing the SELECT nextval statement. I can also execute other SELECT
statements just fine using the Connection and Recordset objects. For
some reason, however, sequence values are always returned as 0.

By rolling back to the 8.02.01.00 driver I was able to solve the
problem, but I'm concerned that this bug will keep me from being able to
move forward in versions of Postgres, and keep me from getting other
fixes. Does anyone recognize this problem or know anything about the
nature of it?

Thanks,

Eric