Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date: 2007-06-19 16:54:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Please think simple. I stress the word simple. The real challenge here
> is getting the formulas correct. Someone mentioned to not focus on the
> values but just get something out there for everyone to help tweak. I
> agree!
>
> What questions do you think should be asked in order to figure out what
> values should go into the formulas for the configuration suggestions?
>
> My thoughts:
>
> What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

OK, obviously not needed if embedded in the manuals.

> How many connections will be made to PostgreSQL?
OK (but changed order)

> How much memory will be available to PostgreSQL?
Would structure it like:
- What is total memory of your machine?
- How much do you want to reserve for other apps (e.g. apache/java)?

Also:
- How many disks will PG be using?
- How much data do you think you'll store?
- Will your usage be: mostly reads|balance of read+write|mostly writes
- Are your searches: all very simple|few complex|lots of complex queries

Then, with the output provide a commentary stating reasons why for the
chosen values. e.g.
random_page_cost = 1.0
Because you have [effective_cache_size = 1GB] and [total db size =
0.5GB] the cost of fetching a page is the same no matter what order you
fetch them in.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd