Re: psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

From: "Dan Joo" <djoo(at)agraquest(dot)com>
To: "Luigi Castro Cardeles" <luigi(dot)cardeles(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
Date: 2008-05-20 15:24:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Luigi,

It is Linux. I am trying to login as postgres but as a user not in the
database. This is because I will be creating a web front end, and
various users, not registered in the database, will need to access the
database. Thus, as "postgres" I can log in fine:

bash-3.1$ psql kermit -U postgres

Welcome to psql 8.1.11, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms

\h for help with SQL commands

\? for help with psql commands

\q to quit

kermit=#

But as myself, I can't.

/home/djoo[8:25am]$ %psql kermit -U postgres

psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

This is pretty much the same setup I had with another company, so I am
confused why I can't access. Is there another file that I need to alter
besides the pg_hba.conf file?

Thanks for your help,

Dan