Re: [psqlODBC 08.02.0402] OpenSSL libraries

From: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [psqlODBC 08.02.0402] OpenSSL libraries
Date: 2007-06-04 15:02:56
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Rainer Bauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I checked out the latest head version today 08.02.0402 to find a solution for
> the new OpenSSL DLL naming scheme.

Do you get OpenSSL libraries from
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html ?
Though I can find ssleay32(MT]MD)(d).lib in C:\OpenSSL\lib\vc, I can't
find ssleay32(MT|MD)(d).dll. What's the differnce among ssleay32xx.lib ?

> I wanted to produce a patch for loadlib.c based on the following idea:
>
> 1) Include openssl/opensslv.h
> 2) Based on the version number OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER defined in that file
> either link with ssleay32.lib or ssleay32MT.lib (respectively libeay32.lib or
> libeay32MT.lib).
>
> But I stopped doing this, because ...
> 1) according to the OpenSSL FAQ, the DLL naming scheme was changed for version
> 0.9.8: <http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#PROG2>
> 2) the OpenSSL DLLs installed by the MSI installer are versions 0.9.8.4.
>
> Hence somebody must have renamed the DLLs before they were added to the
> installer.
>
> So what we can do is either stick with the old names and manually
> copying/renaming them or switch completely to the new names. The former
> requires renaming the DLLs in order to build the project (which should be
> documented in ~/docs/win32-compilation.html), the latter requires altering the
> MSI installer (are there any pitfalls doing that?).
>
> Rainer
>
> PS: Can someone shed some light why delay loading is used in loadlib.c?

Because the driver can live without libpq, ssleay32 or pgenlist.
If you use SSL connections, libpq and ssleay32 are loaded dynamically.
If you enlist in MSDTC, pgenlist(a) is loaeded dynamically.