Re: extend column limit with blocksize does not work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Yannick Monclin <yannick(dot)monclin(at)univ-reims(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extend column limit with blocksize does not work
Date: 2012-01-26 15:39:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Yannick Monclin <yannick(dot)monclin(at)univ-reims(dot)fr> writes:
> I use the query survey software "Limesurvey", when this sofware build
> some complex survey, it's necessary to have more than 1600 columns in
> one table.

I'd suggest rethinking the database schema. Even if you could get that
to work, it's likely to perform pretty horridly.

> So, i have used this parameter (configure
> --with-blocksize=32) to build my last postgresql (9.1.2).

BLCKSZ is not the limiting factor here --- it's the tuple header format,
specifically the width of t_hoff. You might care to look at the first
few comments in src/include/access/htup.h.