Re: BUG #3302: Crash on gist ltree - PANIC: failed to add item to index page

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Cstdenis <cstdenis(at)ctgameinfo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3302: Crash on gist ltree - PANIC: failed to add item to index page
Date: 2007-05-24 15:45:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I haven't been able to reproduce it. I think its a race condition
> between some of the other processes running at the time. I'm not sure
> what else was running on it, but the error suggests an insert to me and
> there may have been a vacuum running (plus there are always plenty of
> selects running).

I don't believe in that: INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE acquire ROW EXCLUSIVE
lock and vacuum - SHARE UPDATE EXCLUSIVE. They are conflicted with SHARE
lock mode acquired by CREATE INDEX command.

It seems to me tat we have bug in defining free space at page.

> It is not reasonable for me to send you an ltree dump since the talbe is
> about 2 million rows, but I'll send a small sample and describe it.
You can put dump somewhere in www and send just a link. But you say that
you can't reproduce the bug, so it isn't needed. But I should some
digger the code.