Re: Postgres Benchmark Results

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Benchmark Results
Date: 2007-05-20 16:41:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

I assume red is PostgreSQL and green is MySQL. That reflects my own
benchmarks with those two.

But I don't fully understand what the graph displays. Does it reflect
the ability of the underlying database to support a certain amount of
users per second given a certain database size? Or is the growth of the
database part of the benchmark?

Btw, did you consider that older topics are normally read much less and
almost never get new postings? I think the size of the "active data set"
is more dependent on the amount of active members than on the actual
amount of data available.
That can reduce the impact of the size of the database greatly, although
we saw very nice gains in performance on our forum (over 22GB of
messages) when replacing the databaseserver with one with twice the
memory, cpu's and I/O.

Best regards,

Arjen