Re: any way to get rid of Bitmap Heap Scan recheck?

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Sergei Shelukhin <realgeek(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: any way to get rid of Bitmap Heap Scan recheck?
Date: 2007-05-19 18:05:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sergei Shelukhin wrote:
> Hi.
> I have the following join condition in a query
> "posttag inner join tag ON posttag.tagid = tag.id and tag.name =
> 'blah'"
> tag.id is PK, I have indexes on posttag.tagid and tag.name both
> created with all the options set to default.
> PG version is 8.1.
>

> The query is very slow (3 minutes on test data), here's what takes all
> the time, from explain results:
>
>> Bitmap Heap Scan on tag (cost=897.06..345730.89 rows=115159 width=8)
> Recheck Cond: ((name)::text = 'blah'::text)
> -> Bitmap Index Scan on tag_idxn
> (cost=0.00..897.06 rows=115159 width=0)
> Index Cond: ((name)::text =
> 'blah'::text)
>
> What is recheck? I googled some and found something about lossy
> indexes but no fixes for this issue.
> The only reason I ever have this index is to do joins like this one;
> how do I make it not lossy?
>
> If I cannot make it not lossy, is there any way to make it skip
> recheck and say to hell with the losses? :)
> The query without recheck will run like up to 100 times faster
> according to overall query plan.

A bitmapped index scan works in two stages. First the index or indexes
are scanned to create a bitmap representing matching tuples. That shows
up as Bitmap Index Scan in explain. Then all the matching tuples are
fetched from the heap, that's the Bitmap Heap Scan.

If the bitmap is larger than work_mem (because there's a lot of matching
tuples), it's stored in memory as lossy. In lossy mode, we don't store
every tuple in the bitmap, but each page with any matching tuples on it
is represented as a single bit. When performing the Bitmap Heap Scan
phase with a lossy bitmap, the pages need to be scanned, using the
Recheck condition, to see which tuples match.

The Recheck condition is always shown, even if the bitmap is not stored
as lossy and no rechecking is done.

Now let's get to your situation. The problem is almost certainly not the
rechecking or lossy bitmaps, but you can increase your work_mem to make
sure.

I'd suggest you do the usual drill: ANALYZE all relevant tables. If that
doesn't solve the problem, run EXPLAIN ANALYZE instead of just EXPLAIN.
See if you can figure something out of that, and if you need more help,
send the output back to the list together with the table definitions and
indexes of all tables involved in the query.

> I'm pondering encoding the tag name to int or bytea field(s) and
> joining on them but that's kinda ugly.

I doubt that helps, but it's hard to say without seeing the schema.

--
Heikki Linnakangas