Re: Re: [Oledb-dev] double precision error with pg linux server, but not with windows pg server

From: Shachar Shemesh <shachar(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Julian Heeb <heebj2000(at)yahoo(dot)de>, oledb-devel(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [Oledb-dev] double precision error with pg linux server, but not with windows pg server
Date: 2007-05-19 18:04:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Hi guys of the pgsql-hackers list.
>>
>> I've received a bug report on the OLE DB list, which I suspect is
>> actually a server bug. The correspondence so far is listed further on,
>> but, in a nutshell, user runs an OLE DB client on windows (OLE DB uses
>> the binary interface), and server version 8.1.9 on Windows, and all is
>> fine. When the server is switched to 8.1.8 on Debian Etch on ARM9,
>> float8 type is not received properly by OLE DB.
>>

> if 8.1.8 is built based on the debian packages it is probably compiled
> with --enable-integer-datetimes.
> Is the oledb client library able to cope with that ?

I'm calling "GetPgStatus(&stat, _bstr_t("integer_datetimes") );" to find
out what the server representation is, and cope accordingly. This only
doesn't work on 7.4 servers, but otherwise I'm fine.

either way, this is off topic to this problem.

From further reading, it seems that ARM indeed uses its own
representation for IEEE floats. I'll try to poll my sources, try and
find out what the %(!(at)#&$ this format actually is (google was no help),
and try and formulate a patch for PG to export it in IEEE despite the
discrepancies.
> Stefan

Shachar