Re: pgAdmin Documentation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin Documentation
Date: 2007-05-17 07:37:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> I've been thinking about trying to sort out the documentation included
>> in pgAdmin. As you know, we currently bundle both the PostgreSQL and
>> Slony docs with pgAdmin - what you may not know is that integrating
>> these together at build time is a real pain, not to mention that those
>> docs account for a major percentage of the number of files in our
>> subversion repository, tarballs and Unix builds, and are also a fair
>> percentage of the total size.
>>
>> There are at least a couple of options:
>>
>> 1) Leave things as they are, maybe attempt to script some of the build
>> tasks.
>>
>> 2) Un-bundle the PostgreSQL and Slony docs. Allow the user to select a
>> directory, CHM file, or website for each of these (we already allow a
>> website to be selected for the PostgreSQL docs). This has the
>> additional advantage that the user can use the docs for their
>> server/slony version, rather than the ones we bundle.
>>

> There's one more advantage to this method : we can use a translated manual.

In fairness you could anyway, either by pointing the relevant option to
an online copy, or by including a translation in docs/fr_FR, but as
Hiroshi notes in his email, that would hugely bloat the distribution.

>> If we were to do the latter, in the Windows Installer for PostgreSQL
>> (which we also need to consider, because it relies on our bundled
>> docs), we would just build the CHM files for each of the three
>> packages, without trying to merge them together.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> I would definitly vote for option 2.

OK, well thats four of us thinking that way. Purely by chance I'm
halfway through coding option 2 anyway, so I'll finish it off and
hopefully commit later today :-)

Cheers, Dave