Re: Feedback on recent Windows shapshot

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feedback on recent Windows shapshot
Date: 2007-05-11 08:30:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi developers! Hi Dave!
>
> Testing pgAdmin III 1.7.0, rev 6292:6293, client Win XP, host: Debian
> Sarge, PG 8.1.8.
>
> I have had a quick look at the snapshot you posted. And so far I have
> not found anything bad, but noticed a couple of improvements.

:-)

> - The reported problems with name proliferation in function parameters
> seem to be gone.

Good.

> - Object browser seems to be a lot faster.

Yeah - that was part of my function code rewriting.

> - SQL query dialogue: trimmed function signature gets rid of redundant
> text - very welcome.

:-)

> - Window management in the main browser improved, but still problems:
> ! For instance: one can resize the SQL pane until even the toolbar is
> burried under it, which should not be possible. The only way to recover
> from this is via the View menu.
> We have discussed it a while back, I think there have been bugs in
> the wxWindows window management back then.

Yeah, that is a reported wxWidgets bug.

?

> - The united "Functions" node in the object browser is a pleasure.

:-)

> - The new "Catalogs" node is handy, because enabling system catalogs
> via the switch in the View menu is a pain.

Blame my boss for that improvement - he asked for it!

> !! Especially if the snapshot _crashes_ after switching the system
> catalogs on (after clicking OK to close all connections). I could
> reproduce this once, but not any more after that. Not sure why.

:-S

> Other than that, the worst I can report for now is a minor annoyance
> that has been there since 1.6:
> In the query tool, if a search with "Find and Replace" reaches the end
> of the text, a new message window is opened to state that, which forces
> one to click OK. This can get tedious when searching a number of objects.
> Would it be an option to display the message "Reached the end of
> document!" (in red?) at the bottom of the "Find and Replace" window
> itself, to save the extra click? Much like Firefox or vim do it. The
> additional sound makes it impossible to miss anyway.
> If the search would continue searching from the top / bottom after
> displaying the message (and playing the sound), even better. We'd lose
> nothing and gain something.

Perhaps, but that's not going to get done for 1.8 I'm afraid.

> BTW: I am very pleased that <Enter> is now triggers the search like I
> suggested back when you introduced the tool. :)

:-)

> Summa summarum: excellent first impression for a snapshot!
> I will have to take a closer look when I have more time. Hard to imagine
> I wouldn't find anything more substantial!

Cool, thanks for testing.

> Any parts that need special attention?

The plpgsql/edbspl debugger is the main thing - but at the moment the
required support in the server is only available for EnterpriseDB so
you'd need to grab an eval copy (get the AS82 beta) to test. We are
planning to release the plugin for community PostgreSQL - the guy
responsible tells me his schedule should ease up in the next week or so,
so hopefully he'll get some time in the not too distant future.

The other issues to check are in the treeview - for example, we now
display columns under views - do we attempt to allow the user to do
anything with them they shouldn't? Is there anyway in which the user
might get and add/drop column option offered which I've missed?

Similarly for the children of the catalogs node - everything under there
should be read only.

Regards, Dave.