Feedback on recent Windows shapshot

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Feedback on recent Windows shapshot
Date: 2007-05-10 23:43:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi developers! Hi Dave!

Testing pgAdmin III 1.7.0, rev 6292:6293, client Win XP, host: Debian
Sarge, PG 8.1.8.

I have had a quick look at the snapshot you posted. And so far I have
not found anything bad, but noticed a couple of improvements.
- The reported problems with name proliferation in function parameters
seem to be gone.
- Object browser seems to be a lot faster.
- SQL query dialogue: trimmed function signature gets rid of redundant
text - very welcome.
- Window management in the main browser improved, but still problems:
! For instance: one can resize the SQL pane until even the toolbar is
burried under it, which should not be possible. The only way to recover
from this is via the View menu.
We have discussed it a while back, I think there have been bugs in
the wxWindows window management back then.
- A couple of minor quirks are gone.
- The united "Functions" node in the object browser is a pleasure.
- The new "Catalogs" node is handy, because enabling system catalogs
via the switch in the View menu is a pain.
!! Especially if the snapshot _crashes_ after switching the system
catalogs on (after clicking OK to close all connections). I could
reproduce this once, but not any more after that. Not sure why.

Other than that, the worst I can report for now is a minor annoyance
that has been there since 1.6:
In the query tool, if a search with "Find and Replace" reaches the end
of the text, a new message window is opened to state that, which forces
one to click OK. This can get tedious when searching a number of objects.
Would it be an option to display the message "Reached the end of
document!" (in red?) at the bottom of the "Find and Replace" window
itself, to save the extra click? Much like Firefox or vim do it. The
additional sound makes it impossible to miss anyway.
If the search would continue searching from the top / bottom after
displaying the message (and playing the sound), even better. We'd lose
nothing and gain something.

BTW: I am very pleased that <Enter> is now triggers the search like I
suggested back when you introduced the tool. :)

Summa summarum: excellent first impression for a snapshot!
I will have to take a closer look when I have more time. Hard to imagine
I wouldn't find anything more substantial!
Any parts that need special attention?

Regards
Erwin