Re: moving data from windows to linux

From: Francois Deliege <fdeliege(at)cs(dot)aau(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: moving data from windows to linux
Date: 2007-04-25 17:13:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 April 2007 08:36, Francois Deliege <fdeliege(at)cs(dot)aau(dot)dk>
> wrote:
>
>> I am moving from 8.2.4 under Windows to 8.2.4 under FreeBSD 6.2.
>> The databases are all encoded in UTF8 on the windows server.
>> The threads I have seen in the archives are all about version or
>> database encoding issues.
>> The only trick here, is that I am using tr to solve the endline
>> problem.
>>

> Is that actually necessary? I'm not seeing anything in the docs about
> cr/lf issues in dump files. Or maybe just use pg_dump on the FreeBSD
> box to create the dump file.

It seems so. I get this error when using directly the dump file from
the windows server.

ERROR: literal carriage return found in data
HINT: Use "\r" to represent carriage return.

I have been looking at sed, tr and dos2unix so far, but without
success. Ken was right, the
'invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x92' error seems to have
been caused by tr removing to many chars.

The FreeBSD and Windows are the same machine, different HD, it makes it
difficult to generate the dump of the Windows XP box from the FreeBSD box.

I have been trying to "look" at the line of the dump file using tail,
but the file seems to large to be handled.

Attachment Content-Type Size
fdeliege.vcf text/x-vcard 338 bytes