Re: Re: [GENERAL] programmatic way to fetch latest release for a given major.minor version

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>, CAJ CAJ <pguser(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [GENERAL] programmatic way to fetch latest release for a given major.minor version
Date: 2007-04-10 14:58:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> It makes sense to store things separately when they have a semantic
> difference. What we call "major" is the first two digits and dot. We
> call "minor" to the third digit, and that's all. We don't have
> "revisions". This is how it has ever been and we even document it as
> such. Offering the first two digits separately would be a mistake
> because it causes confusion over what's significant -- the first digit
> by itself is not significant.

Yes, and for the most part it's true (certainly as far as the purpose of
that documentation is concerned), however it all falls apart next time
we have the 'are there enough new features in this release to bump the
first digit' discussion which, along with the fact that we have bumped
it twice now, is proof in itself that we do give it some meaning.

Anyhoo, I've said my piece now - I'll await the inevitable replies
telling me I'm a donut and then move on :-)

Regards, Dave