Re: I have a need to run PostgreSQL on a windows 2000 server

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: hkrenske(at)tellsystems(dot)com(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I have a need to run PostgreSQL on a windows 2000 server
Date: 2007-04-05 09:22:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

H. Krenske schrieb:
> Can you point me to a location where I can get information to install
> and configure PostgreSQL on a W2K server so that it can be accessed
> using and the ODBC interface.
If you use the binary installer version it's just a few clicks and a wee
bit of editing the config-files.

> I program in powerbuilder and so far I have been able to use this
> strategy in front of an early version of PostgreSQL running in RH7.2
> as well as MS SQL and Sybase SQL anywhere with very little code
> modification.
The configuration of PG on RH7 shouldn't be all that much different than
on Windows.
> However in front of PostgreSQL on windows 2000 it returns the error
> SQLSTATE=08001
> Could not connect to the server;
> Could not connect to the remote socket.

Looks like a network/access-rights issue to me.

1) Do you run any firewall on the Windows server that prohibits access
to port 5432 ?

2) Did you enable the option that postmaster should listen for network
clients?

3) Have you included the clients IP into the pg_hba.conf file within
the datadirectory?

4) Have you tried to access your PG on Windows without ODBC by psql or
PgAdmin so that you can rule out network issues?