Re: Debugger integration

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Debugger integration
Date: 2007-04-04 14:17:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> The existing complete-bundle.sh code works fine, and rewrites the paths
>> to the wx libraries as expected, however the debugger crashes when run.
>> As best I can figure, this is because although the debugger has the
>> correct relative paths to the libraries, some of those (wx) libraries
>> are interdependent, and when run by the debugger executable, the
>> relative paths between them are incorrect.
> I'll look into this. One solution might be to symlink the wx libs
> into the Debugger bundle, but I hope that there is a cleaner solution.
>
>> To resolve this until a better solution is found, I've modified the
>> build system such that static linking is forced when building an app
>> bundle. This also has the advantage of reducing the bundle size a
>> little :-)
> The only downside of this that I can see is that the pgadmin3 binary gets
> _really_ huge (about 200M or so) when statically linked against wx. My old
> powerbook G4 takes a few minutes to even open that with gdb..

So don't use --enable-appbundle with --enable-debug. The debug bundle
should still work in that instance shouldn't it?

> BTW, I've been working on an i386 binary of pgadmin3 that is statically
> linked.
> If've managed to compile static version of libxml, libxslt, wxwidgets and
> libpq, but configure fails for pgadmin3 because it doesn't know that it has
> to pass "-lssl" when linking against that static libpq. AFAIK, libtool
> ususally
> takes care of that, and provides dependency information for static libs.
>
> Neither wxwidgest nor postgres seem to create *.la files for my static
> libs -
> Does anyone know if they should - or how to deal with static linking
> without
> libtool?

I'm missing something I guess - whilst it only links statically with wx
and pg, we already have --enable-static which works fine on intel and
ppc macs. That's the option I now force on when building an appbundle.

Regards, Dave.